Thursday, June 27, 2013

"Talk a Good Game" - Kelly Rowland Stands Her Ground



What up peeps! I hope you have been enjoying my blog so far. I must share with you my love for music. It is so strong in me, vital for me to live. It's like water! I've never done an album review before and always toyed with the idea. So join me in my musical exploration. I recently purchased Kelly Rowland's "Talk a Good Game" and wanted to share it with ya'll. 





Kelly Rowland - Talk a Good Game Album review.

Track-listing
1.Freak
2.Kisses Done Low
3. Gone ft. Wiz Khalifa
4.Talk a Good Game ft. Kevin Cossom
5. Down on Love
6. Dirty Laundry
7. You Changed ft. Beyonce and Michelle
8. I Remember
9. Red Wine
10. This is Love
11. Street Life ft. Pusha T
12. Stand in Front of me
13. Sky Walker ft. The Dream
14. Put Your Name On It
15. #1

1. Freak -
A sexual song in which she sings about cameras, mirrors and how everyone is someone's freak. I view it as Kelly hanging in the the whole euro dance feel, and that sound is dying out but she wanted to still say "I can branch out, don't forget it, but I'll give y'all some R&B. and cross over to Pop. So I'm opening my album to show you how I can transition." I honestly don't like this song and have tried to. I found it cheesy. But at the same time it does make me dance and the lyrics are good. I give her points because it sounds weird. I'll give it a few more listens because I love Kelly. I think I'll begin to like it after a while because it is one of the most uptempo tracks Talk a Good Game Offers and shows Kelly branching out and not being safe with her music, which is what ARTISTS do, take risks. 


2. Kisses Down Low -
This song is cute, more of a solo version of motivation. I'm glad Kelly decided to release this a her lead single because there was no feature. No Lil Wayne needed. It was in the Top 10 R&B BillBoard Charts at one point. I feel like it deserved more attention. Over all it's a good (the dream) sounding track.


3. Gone- 
R&B is back with this one simply put! The pain in this song and the triumph is what attracts me to it. This is nice to listen to both when your not going thorough the situation of telling someone to pack their things a leave and when you are. One of my favorites from the album. And Wiz Khalifa makes it pop! It reminds me of that late 1990's early 2000's R&B which is what I miss so dearly! Those were the days! A golden track form the album. 


4. Talk A Good Game- 
Confident yet vulnerable, this is my favorite song from the album because Kelly Rowland is so grown and sexy on it. Its CLASSY and SENSUAL. I feel like she is claiming her territory on this one, musically and personally. Vocally, she understands where she is and is no longer worried about anyone else or trying to sound like anyone. The beat is perfection. The lyrics are so honest. This song is about asking someone who you are in a relationship with to be  honest. "Yea you talk a good game, but be honest with me." It's a very jazzy, hip hop feel and some parts of the song remind me of a Brandy "Full Moon" record. I really highly recommend this track.  She sounds so GROWN AND SEXY ON THIS! It displays the concept of the entire album. Glad she went this route. :) 


5. Down on Love- 
This song has grown on me. It has a grown and sexy feel to it as well. It also offers vulnerability. I love the chorus. Each time I listen I feel different about it. I have a love/hate relationship with this one but it's a great song. I think it depends on what mood your in, what frame of mind you are in when you listen. It's sleek and sad. Classic Contemporary R&B. 


6. Dirty Laundry- 
Talk about airing it out! I like this record. It's a bit on the depressing side and I can only listen when I'm in a certain mood. But I do appreciate the sadness and somber mood it gives me.  I also love the concept. A part of me wishes the instrumental was a little better, it feels so empty when you listen, but maybe that was the goal of The Dream (he produced and wrote the record)? It's cold and harsh and serves it's purpose. One of the stand outs because it is a single, but falls short behind the other tracks possibly because of it's production? I don't know why I feel like it lacks something. But it's still a good record, 

7. You Changed - 
When this song opens I instantly smile because its the Fabulous ladies of DC reuniting. And it's new material. It's special because it shows the love/chemistry these girls have not only outside of the studio but in the booth. Also, I appreciate how Kelly Rowland really owned her vocals on this record, she is in the forefront. Beyonce fits magically into the song. Her sassiness really gave me Writings on the Wall days! I wish Michelle did more than a bridge, she should have had a full third verse. She still sounded devine on the bridge but I noticed she always does the bridges in each song the 3 do together. Overall this song is one of the golden tracks on the album!


8. I Remember- 
I like the message of this song. The instruments give me that fancy feel, it sounds kind of cloudy and fogged. Kelly Rowland's voice rides the beat. I think what makes this song special are the instruments. It's cute. Once again I think Kelly is saying "I can play with a sounds! I'm willing to test the limits of what y'all think I can do".  I'm glad this is an uptempo track.


9. Red Wine - 
When I first heard this song I didn't get it immediately but loved the instrumental and vocals. It was a weird and creepy track, giving me that 80's feel. After studying her lyrics and trying to discover why the song is called Red Wine, I fell in love. Kelly actually said the title has nothing to do with the lyrics
, they were just drinking Red Wine in the studio and it allowed them (her producers, writers, herself) to get Kelly in the booth and flow. Music making is like magic, it's like a dish being prepared. I interpreted Red Wine as getting drunk with someone you have deep feelings for and pouring your heart out to them in a tasteful manner while being tipsy. Not no sloppy drunk confessions. This is one of my favorite tracks- jazzy pop sound, sexy feel, a stand out track. Head Nodder. Vocals give me chills.

10. This is Love - 
I honestly don't like this song. I don't know why. It sounds corny a little. I think it's the beat. I think it could've been left off the album. But take a listen and see what you think. I'm one of those people where I constantly give music and artists a try, so maybe my feelings will change?


11. Street Life -
Kelly Sounds so Raw and Hungry on this track. She is gritty and I love it. The production was done by the one and only Pharell! Everything about this track is gold. What makes it so special is that Kelly discusses the struggles of the hood and people's perceptions of it. She defends education and staying on your grind. Being street smart and book smart. She also proves Obama in the track. And states how "Everybody round me tryna get to the MONAY, Including me!" And it's so true, if you look around you, you'll notice everyone is hustling, from the hood and not. No one will help you, you have to grind on your own. I love this song because its so real! Kelly is still on her grind just like us!

12. Stand in Front of Me -
(Nice & Slow) This is such a romantic, throwback track to what R&B once was. I love the sound of it. It made me picture me and my future boo at dinner, eyeing each other at the table , being fabulously in love! YASS! But Kelly sounds like an Angel as she coos "I'll be the king, as long as you stand in front of me." She is describing what a man is saying to woman as he is being romantic. His intentions are to be her knight in shining armor. He just wants romance. And she also tells the ladies how to keep there man! It's a magical record. A classic.

13. Sky Walker -
It's a sassy track. Kelly shouts out Houston and The Dream shouts out ATL! It's smooth, clean, crisp, bold. Kelly is telling The Dream what kind of woman he needs. Independent, classy, and got her own! The female and male perspective in this record is "forget the rest, I'm the best. I'm on my stuff and I'm what you need in your life, Baby I'm a sky walker. I'm on a different level!!" Kelly boldly sings "I'm from Houston baby, can't you tell?"

14. Put Your Name On It -
"Lets get lost in this place, oh love, where they can't find us for days, oh whahh."
This is also one of my favorites. Her vocals match how powerful the instruments are. It's classic R&B and Kelly is giving on of her best vocals on this one in my opinion. She sounds strong. You can HERE HER! It still has that two step feel, so it can be played in the club.  I honestly want this to be a single and for her to shoot the video on an exotic beach or island! (I already got it panned out! Lol). This is also one of the golden tracks of the album and allows it to come to a smooth close.


15. #1 -
Last but not least, this is R&B banger is sexy and bold---it's Talks a Good Game-- Kelly is not having it with her lover and tells him "I'm not playing second fiddle, if I'm not the one, I guess I'm not for you. Won't play number 2." That's right you claim yo territory GIRL! I like songs in which women claim their men. It also makes sense to close the album with this record.


Overall I really like the album and the more I listen to it, the more it puts a hold on me. We see Kelly in a different light. She is more comfortable. More vulnerable, honest, sexy, feminine. I also like how classy and lady like she is. Such a lady. The producers, writers, and Kelly mesh well together. It is cohesive and conceptual. It's about the things women experience in relationships- the love, the pain, the loneliness, the togetherness, the late nights, the club. It picks at things we go through  in life, which is what music should do. I love the honesty on this one, Kelly found herself and has grown. She is Kelly Rowland, not Beyonce, Rihanna, or anyone else.
So Take a listen and tell me what you think! 

Hugs, Kisses and Wishes!


No comments:

Post a Comment