Thursday, June 20, 2013

"I Don't Care if Your Gay, Just Don't Flaunt It!"

Living life as a gay male, I often get frustrated by the logic of some people. Some people embrace the "feminine" qualities within gay men and some despise it.

It really makes me want to run face first into a wall sometimes when I hear people say "it's ok that your gay but, why do you have to throw it in my face? Why do you have to flaunt it? Why can't you be gay but still act like a man?" 

Don't you understand that we are people? It's all expression. Gender expression, sexual expression, physical expression. Heterosexuals get to express themselves and their qualities/characteristics. So why can't we do the same? 


I don't view homosexuality as a lifestyle, it's a path of experience in my eyes. We all have different experiences that bring us challenges. 

The gender binary is so LOCKED! Meaning that "men are supposed to do this, and women are supposed to do that!" But where do we, as LGBT people, fall in the spectrum? 

Those comments, questions and judgements are not only appalling but very insensitive.  Many people have this perception that all gay men are feminine and act the same. So not true! There are masculine gay men, feminine gay men, and some who have a mixture of masc/fem qualities (Them Butch Queens yassssss!!)

And lets not other the hatred within in the gay community. As men, we thrive off of being as straight as possible. "Oh I'm straight acting! I'm a top! I'm this I'm that! I'm a real man! Come taste this machoness!" But it's not a debate about who is a real man, it's about being true to who you are! 

That is why I stand tall as a proud feminine gay male. I was taught that there was something wrong with me. But  I had to fight and continue to do so everyday to prove that I am who i am and that's ok. 

At the same token, I have had to understand that by me living my life, I am taking a risk yet opening the door for other LGBT people all over the world. In a patriarchal world where heterosexual men thrive, our lives are a political stance against the norm. So we have to stay strong and continue to open doors for one another because after racism, homophobia is another festering sickness  of the world. 


So if you are homosexual, be you and stay true to you! I'm trying to do the same! Furthering my understanding of who I am and were I got in this BIG world! Be safe, be wise, be careful. 


Share your comments and thoughts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment