Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ciara - The R&B/Pop Starlet Lives it Up - Album Review






What up sugah plums! I've been gone for a minute, now I'm back with the jumpoff...GOONS IN THE CLUB! LOL!

So I am here to do a review of my baby Ciara's new self titled album Ciara. I have been bumping this every single day for the last 2 weeks! My review may be slightly biased because I love Ciara. many criticize her for her vocals and so forth, but thats irrelevant to me. She is no Whitney or Mariah, but she is an excellent performer. Ciara has her own identity as an artist and has rejuvenated her brand. I love having a new Janet Jackson! I feel like she is embracing her career, keeping it positive and not dwelling on negativity. So let's go!






Ciara Album Review

1. I’m Out feat. Nicki Minaj
2. Sophomore
3. Body Party
4. Keep on Lookin
5. Read My Lips
6. Where You Go feat. Future
7. Super Turnt Up feat. Ciara
8. DUI
9. Livin’ It Up feat. Nicki Minaj
10. Overdose

11. Backseat Love

1. I'm Out-
A fiesty ladies anthem, Ciara is out! No time for the games her ex is playing, she chants "If you know that your badder than the new girl that he on, gone head and tell em now 'you gone miss me when I'm gone'. The production, lyrics, and feature of Nicki make this track worthy of "single" treatment. Nicki Minaj really shines, giving the track much more impact.  Ciara sounds charged and ready to go. Definitely a club banger.
It's fire! I love it! Golden Track! And the video...you all must see it.


2. Sophomore-
Ciara is teaching the fellas a little something about "sex Ed" in this one. The beat and production is outstanding. It has that ATL hood feel and is raw. She sounds hungry and confident. Have you ever had a lover who simply wanted more? Catch that. Ha! -Golden Track



3. Body Party -
A nice slow jam, I really love how she sampled  the 90's track, Ghost DJ.......
It's such a feel good record where it's not too much not too little.
It works well for Ciara, her vocals shine, and it reminds me of Janet. Make sure you dance to it with someone next time your at a turn up! ;) -Golden Track


4. Keep On lookin - 

FIYAH! A mean, cocky, ATL Georgia original, ciara tells her haters to simply "keep on lookin" as she stunts. KEEP ON HATING! People give her so much shade for being her, I'm glad she isn't taking it anymore. I love this record because we all know she is so humble and sweet; so it's a much appreciated shift for her to talk a little sh**. I like this side of Ciara. BTW, the opening of the song is EPIC.


5. Read My lips-
This song had to grow on me a bit because when you first listen, it's corny. But, after a few listens the catchiness and beat will make you fall in love. This song is simply about her telling her lover to read her lips, and savor their love. (I'll keep it PG lol but you see where I'm going!)

I also love her vocals on the chorus because she is pushing herself. Sounds like Janet! But is Ciara baby! Cute record! 


6. Where You Go-
When I first  heard this track it instantly reminded me if Janet Jackson's "someone to call my lover". I like how Ciara incorporated a pop sounding guitar, it's super cute. Her vocals are superb and she understands how to blend R&B and Pop. Her hubby, Future, makes the record heavy. Her vocals add the femininity and lightness to the record. A honest pledge of love, Where You Go will definitely have you thinking about your boo. :)

I want this to be a single!
-Golden Track


7. Super Turnt Up-
This track was definitely a risk. When I first heard it on power 106 a few months ago, I was slightly disappointed with Ciara because I wanted her to ditch this sound. It gives me "Ride", and that was not one of my favs by her at all. I thought this record would sound different. I don't love it but I don't hate it. Ciara also raps on this one, which I think is dope. 

This song is about how her lover has her not just turnt up, but Super Turnt Up! The bridge of the song is similar to "Promise".

Ok! I hate and love this song at the same time! It grew on me! I have mixed feelings about it. Super Turnt Up!


8. DUI-
Sensual, grown, dark, and exotic; DUI is about being under the influence of someone's love. You may have to pull over or else you'll crash and things will get out of hand. Penned by Elijah Blake, Ciara's airy vocals fit the track perfectly. I can't imagine anyone else singing it. It's one of my favorites, the sound is what really pulls me in, instrumental is nice. It has a dramatic feel to it, as Ciara purrs "I bet the law might arrest me, if they knew what I was thinkin." -Golden Track


9. Livin It Up-
This is a great pop record with a island feel.  Vocals are crisp and hearty, and it sends a positive message. Think about living your life, doing what you want to do, and enjoying the ride. I like the original version without Nicki Minaj although her verse is cute and inspiring. I heard this song last summer way before it made the cut for the album, so I skip this record because I played it out! But it's a great tune and catchy. I would like to see a music video, Ciara may just choose this as a single.



10. Overdose -
We see Ciara in a different light on this one. She steps completely into pop, which she has done a few times before, but not like this. I can see this playing in the clubs and having multiple dance remixes for "the kids". It's refreshing. Have you ever overdosed on someone before? You just can't get enough of them.


11. Backseat Love-
The title explains itself. Now, I love this record because its a throwback to Goodies in my eyes. The way it sounds.... Takes me back to 03. It's SWAGGED out and cute. I can see a video for it, the bass is magnificent and the verse's are dope. -Golden Track
There are a few more songs but I don't own the hard copy from Target which includes exclusive bonus tracks! Sorry! 

Overall, Ciara allows us to be reintroduced to one of our main R&B/Pop girls on the scene. She finds the medium between radio friendly pop/R&B/Hip-Hop which makes this album amazing. All of the songs could be a single, which is good. Ciara is studying how to make her sound, "her sound" while still being open to other musical risks. I say cop this album, especially for the summer! :) 


Hugs, kisses, and wishes. AND IM NOT A STAN! LOL! #CSQUAD Stand up!

No comments:

Post a Comment